Thursday, October 16, 2008

Who invented the washing machine...?

I have searched high and low, over and under, all Internet resources! I might not have been paying much attention in school, but I don’t think we went over who invented the washing machine. I remember Eli Whitney, but as I google until my heart’s content (which it still isn’t, so I may need to search some more….) I come up with several names and several machines that have all done the work of our ancestor’s hands.

A washing machine, or washer, is a machine designed to clean laundry, such as clothing, towels and sheets.

Today, I revisited those times when women did laundry by hand…
Photobucket


I know, I know, you’re probably asking, “Why, on this green earth would you do that?!

Photobucket


WELL… I’ll tell ya. We haven’t gotten a washer or dryer in the apartment yet and I didn’t have any cash to the laundry facility they have available here at the complex. Carl’s truck is in the shop, so he took my car to work, which voids out the possibility in going to the ATM across the freeway, PLUS I’d have to lug the laundry, again, across the complex. So, long story short, let my hubby wear dirty clothes to work, spend the time we have together in the evenings to go do laundry or……do it all by hand!

Photobucket


If you wonder, than I will tell you, the answer is, “NO!”

I WILL ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER DO LAUNDRY BY HAND AGAIN!!!!

In the end, it was long, hard, tedious work and I must say we are all VERY lucky to live in the privileged world that we do! Never take such a small thing as the washing machine for granted again…. The good news it…the socks passed the Rosie Sniffer Test!

Photobucket

YAY! Hands are sore, cracked and dry…but what a good lookin’ sock-er-doodle!

Photobucket


1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love you! I would never do this, but I love you :)