Saturday, December 13, 2008

The story of Grinchie

Let's start off by saying that diversity is a good. Being an Asian-American is who I am. (A side from being a knock out wife, killer cook and passionate blogger. HA! I'm funny at 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday. LOL.) At any rate. Being Asian American and being raised in the United States of America is the epitome of blessed. I have African American, Asian, Hispanic and Caucasian neighbors. We have integrated schools, a 78 year old man playing basketball somewhere in this great country of ours and...INSERT SOMETHING ELSE DIVERSE AND WONDERFUL HERE...

Yes, diversity is a beautiful thing. A gift from Heavenly Father. A sign that he loves us no matter what color, no matter what we look like. I believe this to the very core of my being. So...why do I find it so disturbing about the way Grinchie Looks?!

Within the multitude of Sugar Cookie People Land for the Ward Christmas Party...Can you find Grinchie?

Photobucket

If you can't, I will show you a close up:

Photobucket

Most Ward Christmas Parties I have been to generally involve sugar loaded, glazed eyeballed, CRAZY kids running around and poking their petite fingers into every dessert they can get their grimy paws on. These children in Spring Ward had the sugar-loaded-glassy-eyes thing going on but were well behaved. Maybe it's because I was sitting far way from the desserts but sitting in my chair and being in my shoes showed well behaved children. It was a good seat!

Oh yeah, so back to my original train of thought. I was thinking about poking fingers and germs and how the cookies I made carried their own little accoutrement's. I was contemplative on whether to individually wrap the cookies so people could shuffle though them and find that *perfect* cookie or just lay them out and take my chances on finding Sugar Cookie People canes and buttons flying through the air...

I settled on the individual packaging. While packing the cookies I decided I would not pack Grinchie. He had a name at this point because I felt like he looked so morbid and scary! I wrapped up and tied bows on the little baggies and felt a great sadness for my little Grinchie. I felt very compassionate and sad that I was going to leave the little cookie out. What if I were that little cookie and just wanted a little boy or girl to take me home, albeit eat me...but you know. I'm going out of my normal realm and inserted myself into Nutcracker Fairy Tale Land... What kind of loving Christlike person would I be if I left little Grinchie at home I'd be a cookie racist! I packaged Grinchie up and put him in the cookie corral.

When I went to fetch my platter at the end of the program I noticed that ALL of the cookies were gone. Even little Grinchie. It made me smile.

I'm not sure if someone thought, "If I don't take this cookie, no one will." Or, "Cool! A green cookie!" Maybe a child grabbed it because a cookie is a cookie. All I know is this. I learned something after an insane hour of obsessing over cookies.

Photobucket

(I told Carl of the humbling experience Grinchie gave me 3 times last night. He was a great husband that supportively listened to me every time but after the 3rd...he said calmly, "You already told me this."
I think I might tell him again tonight.
Ha ha ha.

1 comment:

Kate Chartrand said...

I found your blog! Well, when I went to get Scott a cookie, I did not see Grinchie so somebody else must've snatched him up. But Scott loved the gingerbread man he got, with a candy cane and other goodies stuck to him. I was wondering who had made those cute goodies!