Friday, December 12, 2008

She said Wah? Obviously, I'm still confused...

I was standing at the kitchen island peeling potatoes when I looked outside to see the neighbor girl kicking something into my yard. (Go back 3 weeks ago to when I walked out my front door and saw one egg smashed into the porch… Not a huge mess. In fact, its still there. It doesn’t bother me enough to snag the hose from the backyard. It’s bio-degradable and VERY close to my garden area.) Back to the little girl standing next to a blue Rubbermaid tub, kicking stuff into my yard; I watched her from the formal dining room window thinking, “I caught you, you little monster!” LOL. (Insert super dramatization and a demonic laugh here.) I walked outside and stood next to my car in the driveway for about 10 seconds until she noticed I was standing there.

Girl: (Looking like a deer caught in the headlights.)
Rose: "Is that ice?"
Girl: "Yes"
Rose: "Why are you wasting all that ice?"
Girl: "Cuz we don’t need it."
Rose: (Still staring at her.)
Girl: "Well, someone egged our house last night."
Rose: "Really? Someone egged our house too."
Girl: "Last night?"
Rose: "No but I got an egg on my porch. Still sitting there."
Girl: "So you live there?"
Rose: "Yep."
Girl: (Disappointed that I wasn’t an alien inhabit of the house across the street from her.) "The person who did it lives at the end of the block."
Rose: "That’s not very nice. (Puts hands in pockets and turns to go in.) "Well, nice to meet you."
Girl: (STOPS kicking ice into my yard.)

My first instinct was to go outside and tell her to pick up every piece of ice off my lawn but I felt calm when I talked to her. It’s only ice. I guess all she needed was an association with the neighbor who actually lives in the house. How kicking ice into my yard and her house getting egged last night makes a connection: Beats me. But at least I met the neighbor girl. She was nice...er...you know what I mean.

I started to take some pictures of the jewelry I’ve been making but I am a little embarrassed because I don’t feel like taking pictures of jewelry. I felt like taking pictures of the highly photogenic cookies I made last night! LOL. I promise to take better pictures of the jewelry, it’s just I’m too lazy to get out my light box and props….

They say a man’s stomach is the way to his heart. This is very true. I don’t believe Carl would love me as much if I didn’t cook, however, I think more so than the food part, Carl married me for the ability to incorporate the Jurassic Era into his desserts.

Any time he feels sick, or having a hard day or even if he’s happy and I want to heighten that experience; Dinosaurs will work like magic! (When I feel sick, diamonds work wonders for my heart and stomach. LOL. If someone could only bake me those!)


(Carl was feeling a little icky yesterday. I hopped him up on DayQuil so hopefully he will feel better by tonight for our Ward Souper Christmas Party! I’m making Potato Soup for the first time, wish me luck!)

As I shopped at Super Target, I was pushing my cart (hurriedly passed all the things I did not need) through the kitchen isle (Those sneaky) Target Architects have the kitchen gadgets aisle open facing the cart pushing masses! Something fun caught my eye!

DynoByte Sandwich Cutter!
(Get yours here! http://www.organize.com/dinosaur-crust-cutter.html)

Photobucket

It cuts off the crust and makes 2 Dinosaur shaped sandwiches! I have seen the idea utilizing actual cookie cutters but I wasn’t very interested when seeing all the wasted sandwich! What I love about this (And the reasoning behind using it for cookies!) is that I get 2 cookies in one stamp motion! I was able to make dough, roll dough, and stamp 2 dozen dinosaur cookies in 30 minutes. Yes, that’s right folks, I said 30 MINUTES! (While scouring my FOUR INGREDIENT COOKBOOKS by Linda Coffee and Emily Cale last week, I found a recipe for Butter Cake. The Butter Cake came out more like a giant sugar cookie, so I used the recipes for cookies last night! OH MAN. Try it. Love it. LIVE IT for the rest of your cookie life!)

Butter Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar
2 Cups Flour
1 cup Butter or Margarine
1 Egg slightly beaten

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together. Place dough on greased and floured round cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve Warm with fresh fruit.

(For cookies, I just lightly floured a surface, roll out and stamp away! This cake/cookies barely rise so I bake until they’re lightly browned around the edges. 10-15 minutes depending on how thick you like to make your cookies. Also, MAKE SURE GREASE/FLOUR your pans generously because this WILL STICK. Or use parchment paper. Oh how Rosie loves parchment paper!)

Cookie P.S. Since the dough barely rises, I was able to shape and mold some of it to make the cookies 2-D. If you look closely enough to the pictures up there, you can see that some of the Dinos have muscular legs or arms. One of them I formed completely freehand to look like a Tara dactyl!

No comments: