Monday, December 22, 2008

One day I might look back at this and laugh but Saturday was NOT that day.

A record for the books:

Since our living room ceiling is about as high as the stars, Carl and I decided that the tree would be best if we lifted it up on a crown of bricks to give it a little boost. 24 bricks and a small hollow foundation later, we hoisted our 8 foot tree onto the bricks and CRACK! The loud sound still resonates in my head and sends shivers down my spine. I could have DIED. Well more like CRY but you know what I mean. Emphasis on DIED! Lol… Any who. SO. We jimmy rigged it up with a few college books where the broken leg would have been after building a solid 5’X5’ foundation. Beautimus!

That was only the beginning. I never like to do things 50% and this was a reminder of why we should always give 100%. To recieve 100% YOU MUST ALWAYS GIVE 100%.

Zooming back to present/past, Saturday morning. (Walgreens was having a super fantastic sale on Icicle lights so I bought some for the outside of our house.) We hadn’t bought any lights this year because we didn’t have a ladder. Carl was explaining how it would mean the world to him to string Christmas lights for the very first time on his house so I bought him some. We borrowed the neighbor’s ladder and up he went. In his excitement…. The lights were strung that we needed a 20’ extension cord to get to the power source. Eye, yi yi!

Being the frugal (TIGHTWAD) that I am, I wanted to use the 2 - 8’ extension cords that we already had. I had one under the Christmas Tree but we didn’t really need it so I climbed under there to yank it out….

Photobucket

TIMBER!

YES. The entire tree came tumbling down. Ornaments were flying like World War III shrapnel. The super-fluffed gold gilded bow took flight and all 5 foot of me was trapped under the 8 foot evergreen monster.

I cried. More like sobbed. I was a gigantic snotty mess.


Carl had that twitching vein thing over his eyebrow since he told me not to do it.

He he. I guess it is kind of funny now that I’m reliving it. Do your husbands get the twitching eye brow vein when they’re kind of sort of right? LOL.

He said: “Well, I guess it’s kind of my fault because I strung the lights backwards. Let’s go to Lowe’s and we’ll get a “real tree” stand. I’ll need some blocks of wood but it will be secure for all the years to come this way and we’ll get the lights lit.”

Him’s a good one.

I hope your weekend was as good as mine (because I only want the best for you) but I also hope it wasn’t as good as mine (as awful of that sounds) because having a Christmas tree topple over your little body is not the way I would want you to have spend your Saturday!

We should be a cartoon.

2 comments:

eebeads.com said...

hehehe funny. You should feel lucky your hubby didn't pause to get the camera before the rescue :)

Laura said...

Oh my...you poor dear!!! Sounds like you had quite the adventurous day :)

I hope things have gotten better and all your Christmas decor is safely installed now. Have a great Christmas!!