Thursday, November 27, 2008

I got that lovin' feeling...Ohhhhh that lovin' feeling....

If you are from Kansas, you may know what a Bierock is. If you are not from Kansas, you probably have the look on your face that Carl had when I told him about them... I mixed and matched a few of my favorite recipes together to make a finger lickin' good German sammich. Here you go!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made the filling and then dough. The Dough recipe makes fabulous dinner rolls, but after rolling dough and cutting into 5"x5" squares, I filled with meat mixture, let raise and baked for 15 minutes. YUM-O!

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs hamburger (lean)
3 lbs cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion

Put hamburger in skillet over low heat – break it up with fork and stir often until it changes color – do not fry it, then add cabbage and onion cook another 40 minutes – then taste if it needs more seasoning add more to your own taste. That’s all there is to the filling.

Ingredients
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup lard or shortening (my grandma uses lard, I use shortening. I like hers better)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast

Directions
Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water. Sift together flour, salt and sugar. Cut in lard. Add yeast and water. Mix until well blended and keep mixing until dough forms elastic strands. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes. Place dough on a floured board, smooth gently with your hands and roll out to desired thickness. Cut out (and shape, if desired. I roll until 1/4 inch thick, cut into 5"x5" squares and fill with mix. Pull corners up and seal seams, then tuck under to form a ball.). Place rolls in a greased pan. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Brush with butter and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

(Rolls Price Break down:

5 cups flour .40
1 teaspoon salt .01
1/4 cup sugar .11
1/2 cup lard or shortening (my grandma uses lard, I use shortening. I like hers better) .22
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast .33

$1.07 total, $0.03/roll for 36 rolls.)

1 comment:

Karen Hathaway said...

Justin loves bierocks!!! I make them quite a bit, but mine aren't as impressive as yours. I buy the frozen dinner roll dough, defrost, and roll them out. A little quicker, but probably doesn't taste as good:)