Friday, November 14, 2008

Fah-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra..No it's Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra...

I love Christmas! I love everything that has to do with the season.

I would like to express my excitement because I FOUND MY CAMERA CORD! It was a personal goal to find it and you’ll never guess where it was! In my electronics cord drawer in my office! (My A.K.A. should be OCD…) I was actually surprised that it was there because if I would have remembered I put that stuff away already, I wouldn’t have been complaining about looking for it… Isn’t that the way it always goes?

After finding the cord, I was able to upload all the pictures from the camera! Now that the entire house is unpacked and the Christmas decorations are up, I need a few other hobbies to pursue.

First is another blog titled “Carl’s Travels”. It’s currently on delay until I can get the photos from the last 2 years in order but I’m excited to see how it turns out. It’s going to be an online tribute to our life. He’s also lived in some interesting places. You’ll be able to see the hotels, extended stay motels, ranches and houses he’s lived in!

Second hobby is my obsession with decorating cakes. I’ve been needing to polish my baking skills.

The first cake I decorated this year was dry, but charming.

Photobucket

The second was bought from Wal-Mart but redecorated by yours truly.

Photobucket

Carl’s cake should have seriously had a blog post of it’s very own. Keeping it short: I started it, 10 minutes into baking the power went out (Happens periodically due to Hurricane Ike…STILL…blah) so I tried to “bake it on the stove” which burnt some of the cake in a circle….Cute cake, but a horror story still….

Photobucket

And now…The one I made yesterday…

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

The B on the top is for Brauning! I've always wondered how difficult it would be to decorate a "wedding" cake. It was a lot of fun! The hardest part was trying to find a calligraphy B that I liked. I doodled for a really long time while the cake chilled. Vanilla cake with Cream Cheese Frosting! Next to tackle...filling! I bet it's gonna be messy.....


If you look to the right you will see that I have a section titled “…Holiday Paraphernalia...”. Please check out those links to get your Christmas party pants on and start dancing around! (Or put your mouse over the hyperlink(s) below, put on a pair of glittery red shoes, click your heels three times, and left click your mouse until a new window pops up!)

Way cute cards from Elephant Juice Designs by Laura.
This will take you to the most talented little lady in the midwest! Her cards are gorgeous and I know that a few of you will fall in love with the damask cards she blogged about yesterday.

Fred Flare for stocking stuffers!
Compliments of Miss Toni, as she surfed the net for stocking stuffers, she passed along this link to uber fantastic gifts under 10 dollars! The “Bacon Band-aids” are in my online shopping cart! They're sooo funny. Who doesn't love a little bacon on their boo-boo?

Wrapping paper is my vice....
You can’t have Christmas without perfectly wrapped packages! I am IN LOVE with a few of the more simple prints. Please take in consideration that these are “countertop rolls”. Department stores use them. If you’re anything like me and like your packages to have a similar look to them, this is the way to go. Savings are here since you buy in such bulk.

Lagniappe...Cloth gift bags! My grandma used to make these...
My Grandmother Schmidt used to put a good lot of our Christmas gifts in cloth bags. Helps eliminate cost (not to mention pesky paper, messy scotch tape, not to mention those paper cuts…OUCH!) and the helps environment! Check these out for a GREEN Christmas… (I have few of these bags but I'm such a sucker for bows!)

Very fun stuff!

Now that I found my camera, some pictures to share with you:

As I explained, I LOVE GIFTS! Wrapping with big bows made from wired ribbon is my favorite. I also like to buy Christmas ornaments and use those as gift tags. I still have all the ones from our house with Sue, Mitch and Carl's names on them, so they're perfect to re-use time and time again!

Here are some pictures of the tree and gifts from last year. The house in New Mexico had this geat little niche to showcase the Tree. Plus, this photo shows a cever way to use a plate hanger as decoration. In this picture you can see the pate hanger onthe wall with presents hung right up there! It's such a festive decoration too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lighted Christmas Trees are my favorite! Here is our Tree where it's roots will be for at least 5 years! I just don't think there could be a more perfect place for it!

Photobucket

P.S My camera died in th move and is a month behind on the date I SWEAR this tree wasn't up 10/13/2008! LOL!

(The windows are still bare while I look for some drapery fabric I love enough to buy 46 feet of! YIKES!)Thanks for all your input for the window and tal wall dilemma..Thaomee suggested something like this wich everyone else wholeheartedly agreed to.... Her is the sample picture she sent me. We are thinking about the crowm molding all the way to the top but not so much the brown frames aroundthe windows. I think the vertical lines are nice but do you think they elongate the room too much? Thanks girls, let me know what your thoughts are!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Toni said...

I actually think doing drapes for only the lower half of the windows would bring the gaze of the eye at a steady mid-room level instead of a constant upward. It would be natural for anyone to follow the drapes all the way to the ceiling while glancing around.

Karen Hathaway said...

I'm so jealous of your Christmas decorations!!! I would leave mine up all year long if Justin would let me. Unfortunately he's a believer that they shouldn't go up until AFTER Thanksgiving. So, I wait...and enjoy Christmas carols in my car when he's not around:)