Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Things I learned growing up with Glenda.

Wednesday is a day for reflection.

As I talked to Carl while driving to work this morning, I realized how blessed I was to have such a caring person to help raise me. There are a lot of things that life throws your way but I realize having a nurturing mentor to teach you, with such a wholesome childhood, helps a person choose the right. With that in mind, I write about a few (only a very few) of the good things I learned from G.S.S.

* People are more important than tangible things
* How to make paper boxes, Origami
* Homemade baked cookies go hand in hand perfectly with Christmas Caroling
* The best sled rides are found at Southwestern Hill
* Confetti Eggs for Easter are easiest broken while hanging off an irrigation system
* Wake up extra early and hit the drive through of fast food restaurants to pick up change on the ground before going to garage sales on Saturday mornings on bicycles
* You don't have to live on a farm to grow fruit or vegetables
* Take Your Daughter to Work Day It's real!
* How to play the piano
* Classical music appreciation
* I can do anything I want to do, including being the first female president...of StuCo
* Reading is an escape
* A bag of popcorn can be a satisfying dinner
* She didn't need a special recycling bag to take to the grocery store, she always took a book bag to the grocery store
* Thank you cards are proper etiquette
* Tetherball is a great sport
* R.S.V.P. is short for Respond S'il Vous Plait and S'il Vous Plait translates to Please in French
* Trucks are for girls
* The art of baking
* Be self sufficient
* Do anything you can to help others
* Be involved in your community
* VOLUNTEER
* Summer hasn't begun until you roast hot dogs in an open fire
* Too much tv is bad for you
* Always keep greeting cards and gifts on hand at home, you never know when you might need it

This was only a small list to what I learned in 16 years with my "second mother". Hope everyone is as blessed to be touched by such an angel!

No comments: