Friday, October 15, 2010

The End...

The end of pregnancy that is...

I had kept a log of my contractions for this post but when I had to do a hard reset on my phone, I forgot about it and lost all of the numbers. Luckily...Going into labor with Roslynne is not something I will easily forget. Well, I haven't forgotten yet, anyway.

Dr. Westmoreland planned on inducing my on Monday, August 9, 2010 so I figured I was cutting it pretty short, having not buying my breast pump yet so I solicited my friend Amy, a friend/mother/RN that I look to for lots of advice. She said, OK and that we could go on the prior Saturday.

Saturday came and Amy came over with hubby, Matt and 2 boys Zach and Drew. I was sitting at the kitchen table eating Church's Chicken when I felt a sharp kick. Rozi got me so good I was was sure she aimed for my bladder and initiated a minor accident. Being pregnant, though I honestly hadn't had any previous incidents, I shrugged it off and went to change. At 5:30 p.m. we were off to Babies'R'Us to get a breast pump.

We walked around the store for about an hour and I started to feel some contractions. When we got to the register I told Amy, "Everyone keeps asking me if I have had any Braxton Hicks Contractions and ya know, I don't think I have. Or maybe I have and I keep putting it off as Roslynne moving or kicking me. Either way, I think I'm having them now. They REALLY hurt. I'm such a baby...!" Amy replied, "Well, you can't have her yet. We're taking the boys to the zoo tomorrow. Hear that Rozi Roo? You're not allowed to come out yet." I told her, "I think she listens to you because she stopped." At that moment Amy received a text from Matt that reminded her to go get milk and Tortilla Chips. Luckily for us there is a Kroger next to the baby store....

Walking up to Kroger I started getting the irritating Braxton Hicks. We got into the store and I told Amy, "I really don't think I can walk any further. I am in a lot of pain. Go ahead and go get the chips and milk. I'll wait here and read about celebrity drama." When Amy got back to the front I asked for her keys because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep pace with her on the way out. Once I got to the car I started timing the contractions thinking maybe I was starting the first false round of contractions.

7:01
7:08
7:13

Amy came out and I told her, "I think I'm having real ones." She told me she wouldn't take me to the hospital until the were consistent for at least 20 minutes.

7:20
7:26
7:31
7:38
7:43
7:50

I sent Carl a text and told him: I'm having contractions :)
Carl text: I'm in line at the Barber shop to get my hair cut.
I wrote: OK
Carl wrote: do I have time to get my hair cut?
Rose, "Amy, does Carl have time to get his hair cut?"
Amy, "How many minutes apart now?"
Rose, "5-8"
Amy, "I don't know."
Rose texts: I guess
Carl: I've been waiting a long time.
Rose: That's fine

7:57
8:04

I am mildly freaking out because I didn't plan to be in labor until I was safely tucked inside my hospital bed Monday evening with Pitocin hooked up to my IV...so all of my clothes were in the dryer. I went to my room to make sure we had everything for when Carl got home. I decided that distraction would be my only saving grace so I didn't start yelling about the hair cut.I decided to curl my hair and put on my make up.

8:12
8:20
8:25
8:30
8:35
8:40

Alex came into the bedroom and asked, "Are you in labor?" and I responded, "I think so but if Carl's getting a haircut and going to look nice in pictures, I am too."

8:45
8:50

Carl gets home. He grabs the bags and we leave out friends to go to the hospital. We get to the hospital and they take us to Triage to make sure things were going according to plan. The nurse confirmed my water broke and admitted us at 11:00 p.m. I got a pain pill and then the epidural at midnight. We slept for a little bit and I was dilated 9+ at 11:13 a.m. Sunday morning and told us that we'd have a baby in 10-15 minutes. at 11:30 she came back in and told us that the Dr. has an emergency delivery and she would be in shortly. The nurse stopped the pitocin to slow the contractions. When the Dr. finally made it into the room, the contractions stopped completely! Drip, drip, drip. Pitocin back on. 3 big pushes and we had a perfect little girl at 11:47 a.m. on August 8, 2010.

Little Miss Roslynne Marie had arrived!

The End.

No comments: