Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How To Tell Someone To Shut Up Without Telling Them To Shut Up

(Foreward: I was listening to someone today and I wondered if there was a polite way to tell someone they talk too much, so I googled it... I found that I should be more patient and kind towards people. Maybe.)

By LatestDud

Would You Just SHUT UP?!

Okay, this is a bit of a difficult question to answer but I figured because I talk so much it would be a good opportunity to take up as I will be giving everybody else's ears a rest. So listen here!
Here's what not to do.

Don't seem uninterested because you'll hurt their feelings. Oh, and you may spark a different topic that could go on for twice as long.

Don't tell them to be quiet (it's hard to tell them that politely).

Don't tell them to be quiet using hand signals such as the 'shhh' motion (finger up to lip) or the 'stop' motion (hand in front of your chest, palm facing them). They'll take offence.
Don't (whatever you do) tell them that they talk too much (oh my goodness no). They may never talk to you again (unless of course, that is what you want. If so, go right ahead)!

I can only think of two things to do... the first, introduce them to hubpages.com. He he! Then they may have so much to write about that they'll stop bugging you. Secondly, tell them (in the nicest way possible) they can save their breath and email it to you. That way, you can block them or just ignore the email (you're not obligated to answer the email). Okay, okay, I'm kidding. To be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as informing someone of a flaw they have 'nicely'. I mean, when you think about it, telling someone they talk too much is like telling them they're ugly (they can't help it - well, they won't let you know that they can if they can).
I use to be told a lot as a child that I talked too much. In fact, that flaw was belted into me time and time again. As I got older, I couldn't laugh it off any longer and by the time I was about 14, I stopped talking altogether because I couldn't stand the teasing anymore. But, that is an example of what can happen if you belt it into a child.

Instead of focusing on how to tell them they talk too much, how about you focus on why. There are a few reasons why somebody talks too much.

Are they nervous?

Do they lack confidence?

Do they have self-esteem issues?

Is talking the only thing they believe they're good at?

Are they lonely?

Are they trying to get you to like them?

Maybe they just like having you around... - a little too much perhaps.
Anyway, the way to tell them depends on the kind of person that they are. If you know they will take offence make sure you find the perfect time to tell them. But then again, sometimes you'd be better off not telling them at all. Think about how you would feel if someone said that to you.

No comments: