Saturday, November 7, 2009

Birthday Shambles...BE GONE!

(Preface: It all started when Carl bought me a Wii for my birthday in Septemeber, which stays in Houston with me. In return, I bought him the Beatles Rock Band for the Wii in October for our Anniversary. The Beatles set came with a guitar, mic and drums with the option of 2 other replicas. He received John Lennon's with the set and I bought the additional Paul McCartney. )

Carl has always hated his birthday. For the past 3.5 years we've been together, he gets mad if I try to celebrate it. It's so baffling, and sort of nerve wrecking because...well, if you're reading this, you most likely know me pretty well, and I'll make a big deal out of National Ant Day if there were such a thing. SERIOUSLY? Yes.... Anyhow....

I got to San Antonio about 4 p.m. yesterday and I decorated everything in a Rock Band/Rock Star theme. See Photo:

He got home and was pretty surprised to see the big shin-dig. It was just the two of us with a whole bunch of candy but he seemed to be pretty happy about it. He even put on the birthday hat.

He opened up his gifts which consisted of the remaining Geoprge Harrison Gretsch replica guitar, a guitar case, a 4-guitar stand and last but not least, the Rock Band 2 game. I could see that I had really messed up when he said, man. I want to play it sooooo bad. So I asked, "Are you sad I didn't bring the Wii you bought me for your birthday?" Of course he said, "No. I bought that for you."

Just as the evening was starting to damper, his roommate and a guy from work came home. Carl got excited again and said, "Look at what Rose got me for my birthday!" The boys were talking about how "Sweet" the replica was. Carl told them all about the set I bought him for our anniversary. Junior, the friend/guy that came over, said, "Well hey, let's plug it in! I gotta play this man." Carl sadly said, well, that's the thing... Um. I don't have a Wii here."

I started to walk to the back of the apartment. I was shaking, I was so...well. I don't know what I was feeling. Kind of anxious I guess. Junior started in on me. "What the heck Rose? What kind of wife does that? You bought him all this stuff that he wants but he can't use it? That's messed up man." So I said, "Junior, why you gotta come over here just to bust my chops? I told him I was sorry that I didn't bring the Wii he bought me for my birthday." I emerged back into the living room..."what I didn't tell him was that I brought the Wii THAT I BOUGHT HIM FOR HIS BIRTHDAY!"

Insert: googley, funny, deliriously happy Birthday Boy!

I think I successfully won a trophy for being Carl's Best Wife. (the fact that I'm the only one is not necessarily important. LOL.)

I think the best part of it all was the card I gave him said, "I bet you'll like your birthday this year." He read it outloud and ad-libbed: "OR ELSE."
Usually someone pays the fatal price if I have a grumpy birthday boy on my hands but this year, I think he actually enjoyed it.

After the unveiling of the Wii, I brought out rest of the Beatles band equipment out in the new carrying cases I also purchased earlier in the week. I'd have to say. It was a pretty great Carl's birthday for me too. Seeing him so happy makes my heart grow 3 sizes too big.

The End.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Story! Why do my children Hate their birthdays? I"m getting a complex.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Carl! With two Wii's you guys could have some serious Wii competitions. :) (Can you believe I've never played?)